Sunday, July 24, 2011

What Happened to Goodbye (Sarah Dessen)

Color me surprised! I haven't read anything by Sarah Dessen before, but the titles of her books are somewhat off putting--bland and shallow. So when I read the first chapter and was captivated by Mclean's name-changing disposition, I was shocked.

Far from the overwhelming fluff I expected, this book contained believable characters with relateable problems. I was pleasantly surprised by the writing style and the characterization. I felt connected to the protagonist in a genuine way, and her journey toward self-discovery didn't feel juvenile. I did want her to stand up for herself a little more, but hey, she's in high school, so I guess that's forgivable.

Kudos to Sarah Dessen for making me both laugh and cry throughout a thoroughly enjoyable light read.

No comments:

Post a Comment